Lucas: I saw your light on. Which isn’t that suprising, I mean, I know how hard you work. You know, you haven’t been yourself lately. Peyton. I mean, not the Peyton I remember.
Peyton: Well, I haven’t been that Peyton for three years.
Lucas: What’s going on?
Peyton: Okay. I went by my old house. There’s a teenage girl living there now, and she showed me my closet door. And you know what that said? ‘Lucas and Peyton: True Love Always’. ’Always’, Lucas, that’s what we were supposed to have. Until you showed up in LA three years ago and ambushed me.
Lucas: If by ‘ambushed’ you mean proposed to you?
Peyton: Oh yeah, out of the blue. A proposal that was driven by some insecurity that I have never been able to understand.
Lucas: Insecurity? Right. Let me tell you how you get ‘Always’, Peyton: When a man asks you to marry him, you say ‘yes’. You don’t say ‘no’ and call him insecure.
Peyton: I never said no! I said that I loved you, and that I did want to marry you someday. And, oh God, Luke, I wanted you so bad—but you gave up on us.
Lucas: I—I gave up on us!?
Lucas: By proposing, I gave up on us?
Peyton: No. By not waiting, you gave up on us and you know that’s the truth.
Lucas: That’s great, Peyton! You wanna talk truth? Let’s tell the truth!
Lucas: You gave up on me, that’s why you didn’t say yes! You didn’t think I could do it, you didn’t think I could get my novel published. Maybe you just didn’t care, because it wasn’t about you, or what you wanted.
Peyton: Well, if that’s the truth, if I never cared, then how come everytime I see this stupid book, I buy it?! Every stupid damn time, Luke! You said I was great! You said I could be great! You said we were destined to be together, you said it to the world, you said it to me, and I wish you never had because you did not mean any of it!
5x06 - Don’t Dream It’s Over
I love this scene. It was one of the most heart-wrenching Leyton scenes ever. More importantly, the thematic elements can resonate with a lot of 20-something year olds, here’s how I see it: Marriage should be a declaration of your love and commitment to each other. Simple in theory, but a little more difficult in execution.
The thing that’s wrong with a lot of my generation, is that we over-use words like “always” and “forever”, so much so, that the meaning behind those words have become completely redundant.
If you loved someone, REALLY loved someone, then you would wait till they were able to commit to you. This may be psychologically, physically, financially and even intellectually. But the point of it all is you’re supposed to wait.
And that itself is the problem. So many of us are not willing to wait. We use declarations of love and proposals of marriage as ultimatums. Any sign that the other person isn’t in the same headspace we automatically see as rejection and we render our feelings, which seemed so significant to us a mere moment ago, as unrequited love.
Why do we measure the importance of what we think and feel on weather or not they are mutually exclusive with someone else’s views and feelings? Do we no longer have the patience to wait for others? Do we no longer value conviction and believe in our own decisions?
Just because someone isn’t ready to spend “forever” with you right now, it doesn’t mean that they won’t be ready in the future. Your unwillingness to wait for them is indicative that YOU aren’t ready to spend “forever” with them.
People who put time limits and expiration dates on their feelings and on love…don’t get the privilege of using the word forever. Because, they don’t believe in it in the first place.
I’m enjoying the process of reading all the LOST related posts on tumblr. My fave has been the survey that is circulating, seen here by my friend JohnFredrie. But I decided to change it up and make it an OTH survey. So check it:
1. The first character I fell in love with: Definitely Lucas. Chad Michael Murray was in his prime (Gilmore Girls, Dawson’s Creek, Freaky Friday & Cinderella Story), and Lucas had that cute, brooding/artistic/disheveled/underdog thing going.
2. The character I never expected to love as much I do now: Nathan Scott. I absolutely hated him in the first few episodes in Season 1. Then I was too overwhelmed by the Brucas storyline to really care about him through Seasons 1 & 2. But seeing him hurt and vulnerable in Season 3 (when Hayley came back) absolutely killed me and I have loved him (and the Nalmie (Nathan + Hayley + Jamie) storyline) ever since.
3. The character everyone else loves that I don’t: Lindsay. I don’t think that I hate her as much as I hate the fact that Lucas didn’t wait for Peyton. And how he proposed at 19. And the fact that his proposal was a disguised ultimatum. And the fact that he’s a whore.
4. The character I love that everyone else hates: Peyton. I get that she’s mean and snarky and stole Lucas away from Brooke. But seriously, Hilarie Burton has the BEST scenes in Season 5. That scene where she screams at Luke whilst throwing the books at him absolutely KILL ME! “You said I was great! You said I could be great! You said we were destined to be together! You said it to the world, you said it to me and I wish you never had because you did not mean any of it!” Argh, I die.
5. The character I used to love but don’t any longer: Brooke. Seasons 1-3, her character development was one of the best I’ve seen written in the teen shows. She ended up being the most complicated, kind, impulsive, frustrating and fiercely loyal characters. I still love her when I watch old seasons, but the lack of good material for Sophia Bush has been killing me Seasons 4-7.
6. The character I would date anytime: Nathan Scott. Actually, I not only would date him, I’d marry him and have his babies.
7. The character I want to be like: Hayley. I love her selflessness. She’s stuck by Nathan through so much whilst sill maintaining everything about her and still striving to achieve her dreams.
8. The character I’d slap: Tie between Dan Scott & Alex Dupre
9. A pairing that I love: Naley! Need I say more?
10. A pairing that I hate: I hated all the pairings in between Brucas in Season 3 till Brulian in Season 7.
11. Favourite character: Season 1-3: Brooke, Season 4: Naley, Season 5-6: Jamie, Season 7: Nathan
12. My ten favourite characters: Nathan Scott, Hayley James Scott, James Lucas Scott, Brooke Davis, Peyton Sawyer, Julian Baker, Jake Jegleski, Keith Scott, Antwon Skills, Rachel Gatina
13. My five least favourite characters: Dan Scott, Deb Scott, Mouth, Alex, Katie
14. Which character I am most like: I wish I could say Hayley, strong, loving, nuturing and patient. But it would probably be Brooke, impulsive, fierce, childish and a little nuts.
Nathan: I heard a rumour, you’re gunna be a dad. That’s pretty cool man.
Lucas: Yeah. I’m kind of overwhelmed. I don’t know how you do it, I’m exhausted.
Nathan: It’s all about teamwork. You see that girl lying there next to you? Well you don’t know it now, but she’s a superhero. Trust me. And anyway, we’re both here for you man. Whatever you need. Just want you to know that.
Lucas: Thanks man, you have a good night.
Peyton: (waking up) What’s going on?
Lucas: I’m just playing walkie talkies with my brother
One Tree Hill: 6x14 - A Hand to Take Hold of the Scene